2016, October 18 Board of Directors Meeting
Board of Directors Meeting
SEND Center, Higashi Tokorozawa
October 18, 2016
- 1 Attendance
- 2 SY 16-17:1 Devotions
- 3 SY 16-17:2 Time of Prayer for CAJ (B4.6.7)
- 4 SY 16-17:3 Call to order
- 5 SY 16-17:4 Approval of agenda (B 220.127.116.11)
- 6 SY16-17:5 Head of School monitoring reports B 2.2, 2.9; B1.4 (staff) (B2.1.1., 2.5.1,18.104.22.168)
- 7 SY 16-17:6 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.21
- 8 SY 16-17:7 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.22
- 9 SY 16-17:8 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.8
- 10 SY 16-17:9 Finance and Audit Committee Report (B 4.8.2)
- 11 SY 16-17:10 Board Policy Review: B 4.1, Governing Styles and Values (B 4.1.6)
- 12 SY 16-17:11 Head of School Report - School "Temperature Check"
- 13 SY16-17:12 Proposal/Contract for Strategic Planning
- 14 SY16-17:13 Discussion: Community Governance concept.
- 15 SY 16-17:14 Consent agenda (B4.3.3)
- 16 SY 16-17:15 Rescind amendment of B2.4.14
- 17 SY 16-17:16 Rescind amendment of B22.214.171.124
- 18 SY 16-17:17 Core Value discussion
- 19 SY 16-17:18 Monthly Review of Board Process: verbal (B 4.1.7)
- 20 SY 16-17:19 Closing prayer
- 21 SY 16-17:20 Adjournment
- 22 SY16-17:21 Sign and put seals on Board of Directors meeting minutes(B 126.96.36.199)
- Gerald May (TEAM)
- Kenichi Shinagawa (Member at Large and Educator)
- Grant Buchholtz (ECC)
- Johanna Leenders (Mieke Sasaski)(CRJM)
- Karen Stoesz (SEND)
- Jaine Yeong Yueh Chung (Jaine Loh) (World Venture)
- Daniel Sexton (OMS)
- Joel Peterson (Member at Large)
- Anda Foxwell (Head of School)
- Sobi Abraham
- Jon Winter
SY 16-17:1 Devotions
Joel Peterson shared from Jeremiah 1:4-10.
SY 16-17:2 Time of Prayer for CAJ (B4.6.7)
Time was spent praying for CAJ.
SY 16-17:3 Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 9:20 a.m.
SY 16-17:4 Approval of agenda (B 188.8.131.52)
B 2.4.14 and B 184.108.40.206 were removed from the consent agenda.
Discussion of core values was added to the agenda.
MSC to approve the agenda as amended.
SY16-17:5 Head of School monitoring reports B 2.2, 2.9; B1.4 (staff) (B2.1.1., 2.5.1,220.127.116.11)
Anda Foxwell, Rick Seely and Pam Kumate gave the Head of School monitoring report.
- No weakening in evangelical mission due to direct hire staff/teacher.
- Retention will be an increasing issue; might have to learn how to work with a revolving staff.
- Find ways to educate direct hires on the specifics of mission work in Japan.
- Two staff hired specifically to help new staff with life in Japan.
- It is the expectation of each staff to plug into a church to receive spiritual care.
- Policy 2.2.20 (grievance policy)- needs to be made clear. The Governance and Policy Review Committee was asked to review this policy.
SY 16-17:6 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.21
2.2.21 Seek board approval for dismissing a staff member or declining to renew a contract. (SY 08-09:105; SY 11-12:87; SY 13-14:93) The board understands the reasons for the partial compliance and accepts them. This is related to the 2015-16 school year. Unanimously accepted.
SY 16-17:7 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.22
2.2.22 Ask exiting staff to give a written reason for leaving, summarize the responses, put a copy in the staff personnel file and give a copy to the board chair (cf 4.4.5) (SY 07-08: 67; SY 12-13:79)
The board understands the reasons for the partial compliance and accepts them. This is related to the 2015-16 school year.
SY 16-17:8 Acceptance of Partial Compliance of 2.2.8
2.2.8 Have all staff and non-parent volunteers sign a contract. (SY 05-06: 211; SY 10-11:19)
The board understands the reasons for the partial compliance and accepts them. Partial compliance is related to the hiring of coaches for winter and spring sports. We anticipate full compliance by the beginning of the sports season.
The board understands that no coach begins working until a contract has been signed.
SY 16-17:9 Finance and Audit Committee Report (B 4.8.2)
Rick Seely gave the Finance and Audit Committee report.
Tuition assistance ad hoc committee continues to meet.
A tax audit will be done on November 17 and 18.
MSC to approve the report.
SY 16-17:10 Board Policy Review: B 4.1, Governing Styles and Values (B 4.1.6)
The board reviewed B4.1
SY 16-17:11 Head of School Report - School "Temperature Check"
Anda Foxwell gave the HoS report.
- Building a learning community of grace and truth
- Increasing and improving the flow of communication between all areas of school, but especially among the school leaders
- Working on a different leadership structure that is generating a lot of excitement.
- Developing leadership (program) and leaders (people) at all levels: students, teachers, staff
- SWOW is an example of developing leaders among students and teachers.
- Focus groups are lead by an experienced teacher with an identified younger teacher with leadership potential.
- Building a biblically-based, sustainable, cohesive curriculum across all grade levels and collaborating about the best ways to deliver it
- Received good instruction in building curriculum at the Pro-D day in September.
- Set the stage for strategic planning through an effective school improvement process
- Proposal/Contract for Strategic Planning
SY16-17:12 Proposal/Contract for Strategic Planning
MSC to enter into a contract with David Ritter from Christian Schools International (CSI) as a consultant in our strategic planning process.
Joel Peterson was asked to work with Gerald May and Anda Foxwell on the specifics of the contract.
SY16-17:13 Discussion: Community Governance concept.
Began to review the book Community Governance.
Gerald May lead this discussion. The members were asked to read pages 15-20 from the book Community Governance in preparation for further discussion at the November board meeting.
SY 16-17:14 Consent agenda (B4.3.3)
MSC to approve the consent agenda:
- May 17, 2016 Board of Directors minutes (B 18.104.22.168)
- May 17, 2016 Executive Action minutes (B 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199.4, 188.8.131.52)
- October 11, 2015 Finance Committee minutes (B 184.108.40.206.2)
- Approval of second readings (B 4.1.9)
SY 16-17:15 Rescind amendment of B2.4.14
- Current reading:
- B2.4.14 Maintain an identified set of Administrative Policies that can only be modified, added to, or removed by majority action of the Leadership Team. (SY 11-12:188, SY 14-15:33)
- B2.4.14 Maintain an identified set of Administrative Policies. Any policies that are modified, added to, or removed must be reported to the board of directors by the next board meeting. (SY 11-12:188, SY 14-15:33)
MSC to rescind the amendment of B2.4.14.
Referred back to the Governance & Policy Review committee for further discussion.
SY 16-17:16 Rescind amendment of B220.127.116.11
- Current reading:
- 18.104.22.168 Vice chairman of finances. The vice chairman of finances shall monitor the financial affairs of the school.
- 22.214.171.124 Vice chair of finances. The vice chair of finances shall be in regular communication with the business manager regarding the financial affairs of the school.
MSC to rescind the amendment for B126.96.36.199.
Sent back to the Finance committee for further discussion.
SY 16-17:17 Core Value discussion
Gerald May reviewed the core value discussion process from school year 2015-2016.
Talking points: The core values connect the statement of faith and the student objectives. The core values describe the environment of CAJ. Core values are boundaries in which we operate.
Anda Foxwell will present the following possible core values to the Research and Development (RAD) team for feedback. We seek to be a Christ-centered community of:
- Love and Grace
- Celebrating God’s love for us
- Loving God with heart, soul, mind and strength
- Welcoming each other with grace
- Faith and Hope
- Believing and trusting in Christ’s saving work
- Hoping in Christ’s promises
- Sharing the Gospel
- Knowledge and Wisdom
- Finding truth in God’s Word (doctrinal statement)
- Finding truth in God’s creation
- Discerning truth in all disciplines (subjects)
- Speaking truthfully
- Servants and stewards
- Doing justice
- Loving mercy
- Walking humbly (Micah 6:8)
- Caring for creation
- Working together
- Doing good
Short statements (recurring themes) coming out of our core values:
Learning. Loving. Leading.
Learners, Lovers, Leaders.
Learning, loving, serving together.
SY 16-17:18 Monthly Review of Board Process: verbal (B 4.1.7)
The board process was reviewed.
Simplifying the monitoring report process was suggested.
Many members expressed their appreciation for the input of Rick Seely and Pam Kumate during the explanation of the monitoring report.
SY 16-17:19 Closing prayer
Jon Winter closed in prayer.
SY 16-17:20 Adjournment
MSC to adjourn the meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 4:06 p.m.
SY16-17:21 Sign and put seals on Board of Directors meeting minutes(B 188.8.131.52)
The members signed the following sets of minutes: May 17, 2016 Board of Directors minutes (B184.108.40.206). May 17, 2016 Board of Directors Executive Action minutes (B220.127.116.11).
Karen Stoesz-Board Secretary
Gerald May- Board Chair
Kenichi Shinagawa-Board Vice Chair
Daniel Sexton- Vice Chair of Finance
Johanna Leenders (Mieke Sasaki)-Board Member
Joel Peterson-Board member
Grant Buchholz-Board member
Jaine Yeong Yueh Chung (Janie Loh)-Board Member
Anda Foxwell-Board Member/ Head of School