All applicants are asked to send in:
- School records for the current year plus the previous two years.
- One (elementary school) or two (middle or high school) teacher recommendations.
Please see Application
Age/Readiness for Kindergarten and Grade 1
- Children whose English skills are at grade level must be 5 (five) years old by September 1 of the current school year to enter kindergarten, and 6 (six) years old by September 1 of that year to enter first grade.
- Children whose English skills are significantly below grade level must be 5 (five) years old by April 1 of the current school year to enter kindergarten, and 6 (six) years old by April 1 of the current year to enter first grade.
- Age requirement may be waived for transfer students who have satisfactorily completed one semester in an English-speaking school.
All applicants to CAJ must reside with a parent or legal guardian or in a school-recognized alternative residence (host family or relative). Families are responsible for reporting to CAJ that the student is not residing with the parents. CAJ does not have a boarding program.
- CAJ uses the following English language proficiency criteria for admission:
- Applicants for grades 9-12 should have grade-level English proficiency to be admitted.
- Applicants for grades 6-8 should be within one grade level of English proficiency to be admitted.
- Applicants for kindergarten - grade 5 should be within two grade levels of English proficiency to be admitted. Exception: applicants for kindergarten through grade 2 whose English proficiency is more than two grade levels below may possibly be admitted, depending on the overall composition of the class.
- Students for whom English is an additional language and whose English proficiency is not at grade level may be assigned conditions of enrollment, such as working with a specialist and/or tutor during the school year and attending an approved summer school program. Students must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward reaching grade-level English proficiency. An annual review of student assessment results will be used to determine if the student will exit the English language program, continue in the program, or be asked to enroll in another school that can better meet the student's needs.
- Families are required to be able to clearly communicate with the school and the teachers in English. For some families this means having a plan in place to translate English messages to and from the school. ESL students should have a designated authority figure who can speak and translate English well enough to do such things as discuss assignments with the student, read teacher notes, and hold conversations with teachers. Communicating with CAJ in English.
- CAJ may deny for any of the following reasons the admission of applicants for whom English is an additional language and whose English proficiency is not at grade level: the teaching load of the staff, the class size and educational dynamics of the grade for which the student is applying, and the unavailability of an appropriately trained teacher.
- CAJ admits students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for speech and language and/or for specific learning disabilities, and who, with limited services, are able to be successful in the regular classroom.
- CAJ admits students with physical, emotional, or behavioral needs who, with limited services, are able to be successful in the regular classroom.
- The applicant will be screened using, for example, the applicant's IEP, interviews, tests, transcripts, and references. Additional testing may be required.
- CAJ may deny the admission of children with special needs for any of the following reasons: the lack of an appropriate program or curriculum, the lack of appropriate facilities and equipment, the teaching load of the staff, the class size and educational dynamics of the grade for which the student is applying, or the unavailability of an appropriately trained teacher.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
or 042-471-0022 and ask for a member of the admissions team (in either Japanese or English)